photo and poem by clinock – photo from Siena, Italy.
Click on photo for superior viewing experience.
i•con (ˈaɪ kɒn)
- a picture, image or other representation.
- an image of Christ, a saint, etc., venerated as sacred.
- a sign or representation that stands for something by virtue of a resemblance or analogy to it: an icon of womanhood.
- a person or thing that is revered or idolized: a pop icon.
- a small graphic image on a computer screen representing a disk drive, a file, or a software command.
[1565–75; < Latin < Greek eikṓn likeness, image, figure]